Create the best possible public sector environment for Koch companies to create value, consistent with our MBM® Guiding Principles, by doing the following:
- Identify, educate and help elect decision makers who will advance market-based policies compatible with Koch companies’ philosophy and interests.
- Educate KOCHPAC members and PAC-eligible employees of Koch companies and provide them with an effective means for political involvement on Koch companies’ market-based priorities through their advocacy and financial participation in KOCHPAC.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the KOCHPAC?
Our political action committee (PAC), KOCHPAC, is a voluntary political fund supported solely by eligible employees. The PAC provides financial support to political candidates (as permitted by law) who share our views on public policy issues. Federal law and the laws of many states prohibit the use of corporate and union funds to make contributions to candidates or to the national political committees.
- Why does our company have a PAC?
Decisions made in DC by the administration and Congress, and in state capitals around the country, will shape America’s future for decades to come. We must ensure that these decisions are made by principled leaders who understand the challenges facing our country. KOCHPAC supports candidates who advance market-based ideas at the federal and state levels.
- Who is eligible to participate in KOCHPAC?
Under the Federal Election Campaign Act, membership in the PAC is limited to those employees who are (1) U.S. citizens or (2) green card holders with permanent resident status living in the United States. In addition, you MUST be:
- An employee who is paid on a salary basis and who has policymaking, managerial, professional, or supervisory responsibilities or
- A spouse of an employee.
- Is KOCHPAC participation voluntary?
Absolutely! Membership is strictly voluntary. Whether or not you choose to participate will in no way affect your position in the company.
- How much should I contribute?
The amount you choose to contribute is entirely up to you. The legal maximum is $5,000 per year. The average contribution in 2018 was $1,000.
- Is my KOCHPAC contribution deductible for federal income tax purposes?
No. Political contributions are not tax deductible.
- How much of my money goes to administrative costs?
One hundred percent of your voluntary contribution, regardless the amount, will be used to help candidates who support market-based policies.
- How are candidates selected for contributions?
Candidates are considered on the basis of the following criteria:
- Voting record on issues of importance to Koch companies
- Commitment to market-based principles
- Leadership role or potential
- Committee assignments
- Representative of Koch companies' resources (facility/employees)
- Competitiveness of race
- Ability to win
- How much can KOCHPAC contribute to individual federal candidates?
The PAC can legally contribute up to $5,000 per election, per federal candidate.
- Does KOCHPAC buy votes?
There is no buying of votes. KOCHPAC complies with federal and state laws. PACs are groups of like-minded individuals who pool their resources to achieve a common goal. In fact, PACs were created as part of a reform effort to encourage more individuals to participate in the process.
- What if I do not personally support a candidate or party that KOCHPAC supports?
As individuals, we have different opinions on political and social issues. KOCHPAC exists not to divide us but to bring us together to work on our shared issues. We focus on decision makers who are compatible with Koch companies’ philosophy and interests.
- I don’t pay much attention to politics. Shouldn’t you ask someone who is more politically involved?
Just because you do not pay attention to politics does not mean that government decisions do not affect you and the company. Government decisions can have an adverse impact on our company and affect all of our livelihoods. KOCHPAC represents our interests on the issues we share with the company.